Noblemen and subjects used to come up to the castle from Branik (once Rihemberk) along the old castle path which led up from the village along the gorge of the Rovnak stream and past the church of St. Anthony. The path connected the Vipava Valley with the Karst and continued on to the sea. Everyone passing this way had to go through the castle toll house, the remains of which are still visible below the castle. The starting point is at the Kulturni dom in Branik where there is a public carpark. We set off along the road in the direction of Komen, following the signposts. For part of the way we must walk along the main road. On the way back to Branik from the castle we first continue up the road in the direction of Komen. Near the bridge across the Rovnak gorge we turn right onto a macadam road which brings us under the mighty railway viaduct of the Austro-Hungarian Bohinj railway line.
ATTRACTIONS ON THE WAY:
• The church of St. Anthony of Padua in the hamlet of Tabor with nice views
• Passage through the old castle toll house
• Visiting and exploring Rihemberk Castle and climbing its mighty tower
• Beautiful views of the castle from various points which vary throughout the seasons
• Passage under the mighty railway viaduct of the Bohinj line from 1906